Skip to main content

Scones

We've been discussing the concept of rationing with the kids this week, trying to make them aware that with grocery stores full of bare shelves, we have to use what is in our fridge and pantry wisely. We aren't really rationing at this point. We're just trying to limit dinner portions to make sure there are enough leftovers for the next day's lunch and pointing out that unlimited snacks are unwise. It's not much of a sacrifice yet. Today, however, I gave the kids some good news.

I've received several emails from our favorite local places communicating their coronavirus response plans and, sometimes, their fears for financial survival. One of these businesses is the tea shop where Matt and I do almost all of our lunch dates during the school year. We always get the "Century Oaks Tea Service," which includes a pot of freshly steeped hot tea, a scone with your choice of spread (almost always clotted cream, though the maple pecan is delicious), two tea sandwiches (my favorite is lemon edamame), fruit, tea cookies, and a slice of tea cake to share. Then, we always add a second scone because that is our favorite part. The restaurant closed their dining room even before it became a city ordinance and switched to offering curbside service from their menu, including frozen sets of their scones to cook in your own oven at home.

It may make me a ridiculously stereotypical English professor, but I love tea and scones. I love tea and scones a lot. In deference to my slowing middle-aged metabolism, I can usually pass up breakfast treats like donuts or cinnamon rolls without too much of a struggle, and I simply don't like coffee. But hot tea and a warm scone... I'm going to eat that. So when I received the restaurant's email, I wanted to get some scones. I originally intended to get a set or two every week to give them some regular business, but when I heard about the newly enhanced restrictions in New York State and California, I decided to increase my order in case it's the only one we can make. Both fortunately and unfortunately, though, our freezer is pretty full. I was gloomy enough on this pandemic to make a meal plan and get most of what I needed for a two-week meal plan before things got to their current point. (No, I did not bulk buy: I just made a list of 14 minimalist dinners and got those supplies. I'm realizing that I didn't think as much about lunch and breakfast, though, hence the rationing discussions.)

In any case: Matt, who is currently the only Rerecich whose job takes him out into the world, came home with 16 someday-to-be-delicious frozen scones tonight, and there wasn't room in the freezer for them. But I did have two partially eaten cartons of frozen yogurt in there: chocolate from Lily's bout of Influenza B in January and vanilla from Corin's round of strep throat in February. On the whole, the kids have been champs about this whole situation so far, so it was fun to inform them that their social distancing duty today was to each get their own carton and finish it off so that I could put my scones away. Everybody wins.



Comments

  1. Grandmom Lois depends religiously (ha!) on leftovers from my church meals. Now that those are canceled, she complains she is "almost out of food!" --that is, out of leftover soup and other things. Now that I'm on spring break, I can go over and cook! So no rationing here, other than of pre-made food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw the title, "SCONES" and had to peek, in case there was a recipe! ;) Even better, a cute pic of the kids with what had to be a glorious treat! Enjoy the bounty!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment