In the midst of a steady stream of sombre news of illness and isolation, we all need ways to stay connected. Even while practicing social distancing, we need ways to stay connected to each other, to anything like normalcy, and, most fundamentally, to our humanity.
Most of this connection will have to come through digital means, and that will be a challenge for me because I am averse to social media. I am not a socially adept person even in person, and I am even worse on platforms like Facebook. I take too long to say anything I want to say; I get too interested in how many people read or like whatever it took me so long to post, and then, honestly, I get too frustrated by many of the other posts floating around.
And yet, I think our relationships would be better for more frequent communication. I've tried printed newsletters for grandparents, and they are quite nice, but they take a long time to make, print, and mail, and going to the post office is not a good social distancing practice anyway. I thought about a web-based newsletter, but the platform wanted me to log in with my Google password, which I guard rather jealously, so after all of that thinking, I landed here on the blog that I started back in 2011 and have not written for since 2017. It's a long shot to try to resurrect it, I guess, but I'm going to try.
For right now, I've just given the blog a new look and written this introduction. I hope that more will follow later today or tomorrow. Take care of yourselves, everyone.
With Love in the Time of Coronavirus,
Lindsay
Most of this connection will have to come through digital means, and that will be a challenge for me because I am averse to social media. I am not a socially adept person even in person, and I am even worse on platforms like Facebook. I take too long to say anything I want to say; I get too interested in how many people read or like whatever it took me so long to post, and then, honestly, I get too frustrated by many of the other posts floating around.
And yet, I think our relationships would be better for more frequent communication. I've tried printed newsletters for grandparents, and they are quite nice, but they take a long time to make, print, and mail, and going to the post office is not a good social distancing practice anyway. I thought about a web-based newsletter, but the platform wanted me to log in with my Google password, which I guard rather jealously, so after all of that thinking, I landed here on the blog that I started back in 2011 and have not written for since 2017. It's a long shot to try to resurrect it, I guess, but I'm going to try.
For right now, I've just given the blog a new look and written this introduction. I hope that more will follow later today or tomorrow. Take care of yourselves, everyone.
With Love in the Time of Coronavirus,
Lindsay
I don't know how the website knows who I am- maybe because I'm on chrome?- but its funny that my profile picture is from so long ago I'm in Sid Rich college (OLD Sid Rich, now that they have a new one) and I am playing with the Golden Lion Tamarin stuffed animal that Mr. Little Rarities , I believe, gave me.
ReplyDeleteAnyway- Tulkas and I are homebound for the duration, look forward to hearing from you guys.
Glad to see you back!
ReplyDelete