We Wish You a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
Good Tidings we bring to you and your kin...
Our son is here! Corin Matthew Rerecich was born on Christmas Eve at 6:16 a.m., weighing 8 pounds, 4 ounces and measuring 21 and a half inches. (How did I carry such a long baby?) The labor story is a pretty good one, but I'll spare you the details since I know some guys get rather uncomfortable with that sort of thing. However, I will say that it was an unmedicated delivery, and Corin definitely earned the nickname that my Uncle Jeff always wanted us to give a boy: Rocket Rerecich.We were only in the hospital 90 minutes before I was holding him.
We came home on Christmas day, and we are all still adjusting. I'm recovering much more quickly than the first time around, but my energy level is still not back to normal, and I'm working on figuring out a good approach to nighttime. Lily has been wonderful. She, like me, has some mood swings now and then, but on the whole, she is very affectionate and gentle with baby brother. She also likes to make Marabelle mimic whatever Corin has just done. For example, since Corin has a very active little digestive system, Marabelle suddenly needs to be changed every few hours. Corin, of course, mostly sleeps and eats, but he seems to be a little more laid back than Lily was even at this stage. I'll keep you posted as his personality becomes more apparent in the weeks ahead.
The Christmas tradition of opening presents was something of an afterthought this year. We had not built it up much with Lily because we weren't sure when Corin would come, and we had been hiding all the presents because she doesn't understand the concept of waiting to open tantalizingly wrapped packages. We came home from the hospital in the mid-afternoon, so Lily woke up from her nap for Christmas evening rather than Christmas morning, but I think she still had fun. It took several hours to get through the event, partly because we bought her way too much (lesson learned), and partly because she wanted to open, assemble, and play with everything once each item was unwrapped. I think her favorite present was a Cinderella play dress from a local toy store; she's probably worn it every day since Christmas. As soon as it was opened, she wanted glass slippers (her existing silver shoes work fine), and she wanted Prince Charming (Matt) to put them on for her. We also downloaded the royal ball score from the Disney Cinderella movie, and she's been waltzing with Daddy ever since.
Still, the funniest Christmas moment came from a different present. She got a little toy iphone (i.e. a plastic princess decoy to distract her from our real iphones) and had been talking on it to other princesses and to Prince Charming. Then she opened a gift from Aunt Alicia and Uncle Andrew: a Fancy Nancy throw blanket. She was thrilled with it, so we wanted to take a picture. But before we could get her to look at the camera and smile, she grabbed that toy iphone again, and we all got a little deflated thinking that her attention was dreadfully short. But then she started talking into the phone: "Prince Charming? I need to show you my new blanket," and she held the phone up to the blanket face first. Apparently, she conceives of her toy iphone as an iphone 4 with FaceTime capabilities. Oh, the standards we've set...
Good Tidings we bring to you and your kin...
Our son is here! Corin Matthew Rerecich was born on Christmas Eve at 6:16 a.m., weighing 8 pounds, 4 ounces and measuring 21 and a half inches. (How did I carry such a long baby?) The labor story is a pretty good one, but I'll spare you the details since I know some guys get rather uncomfortable with that sort of thing. However, I will say that it was an unmedicated delivery, and Corin definitely earned the nickname that my Uncle Jeff always wanted us to give a boy: Rocket Rerecich.We were only in the hospital 90 minutes before I was holding him.
We came home on Christmas day, and we are all still adjusting. I'm recovering much more quickly than the first time around, but my energy level is still not back to normal, and I'm working on figuring out a good approach to nighttime. Lily has been wonderful. She, like me, has some mood swings now and then, but on the whole, she is very affectionate and gentle with baby brother. She also likes to make Marabelle mimic whatever Corin has just done. For example, since Corin has a very active little digestive system, Marabelle suddenly needs to be changed every few hours. Corin, of course, mostly sleeps and eats, but he seems to be a little more laid back than Lily was even at this stage. I'll keep you posted as his personality becomes more apparent in the weeks ahead.
The Christmas tradition of opening presents was something of an afterthought this year. We had not built it up much with Lily because we weren't sure when Corin would come, and we had been hiding all the presents because she doesn't understand the concept of waiting to open tantalizingly wrapped packages. We came home from the hospital in the mid-afternoon, so Lily woke up from her nap for Christmas evening rather than Christmas morning, but I think she still had fun. It took several hours to get through the event, partly because we bought her way too much (lesson learned), and partly because she wanted to open, assemble, and play with everything once each item was unwrapped. I think her favorite present was a Cinderella play dress from a local toy store; she's probably worn it every day since Christmas. As soon as it was opened, she wanted glass slippers (her existing silver shoes work fine), and she wanted Prince Charming (Matt) to put them on for her. We also downloaded the royal ball score from the Disney Cinderella movie, and she's been waltzing with Daddy ever since.
Still, the funniest Christmas moment came from a different present. She got a little toy iphone (i.e. a plastic princess decoy to distract her from our real iphones) and had been talking on it to other princesses and to Prince Charming. Then she opened a gift from Aunt Alicia and Uncle Andrew: a Fancy Nancy throw blanket. She was thrilled with it, so we wanted to take a picture. But before we could get her to look at the camera and smile, she grabbed that toy iphone again, and we all got a little deflated thinking that her attention was dreadfully short. But then she started talking into the phone: "Prince Charming? I need to show you my new blanket," and she held the phone up to the blanket face first. Apparently, she conceives of her toy iphone as an iphone 4 with FaceTime capabilities. Oh, the standards we've set...






For the record, that isn't Corin in the blue bouncy chair; it is Marabelle.
ReplyDelete